Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Misadventures of Griffin



This weekend has been a tough one for our little adventurer. Last night Nathan was at church doing the sound for a wedding and Griffin was playing. Letely he has had fun going into a different room, telling me "See you tomorrow. I'll be right back", and shutting the door. I have warned him about shutting doors, since he can't open them again and it becomes a pain for me to go around opening doors and letting him out. Most of the time, he follows my instructions and leaves the door cracked. However, he IS 2. This evening he had just told me good-bye for the ump-teenth time and I heard the door close. I was at the computer and I yelled out "Griffin!". I got up to open the door and fuss at him, and I realized the door was locked. My first reaction was anger, as I fussed through the door at him. He began to cry, and I realized he was scared and I needed to calm down. I tried to re-assure him as I went to the closet in the baby room to get a hanger. After several failed attempts to unlock the door with a hanger and a small screwdriver, I was getting a little worried. I went outside to see if the window was locked, and it was. I tried taking the door knob off, but that just made things worse. Everyone I knew who lives near us was at the wedding and I was starting to run out of ideas. With "over the phone help" from my uncle Eric, I was finally able to reassemble the door know and unlock the door with the screwdriver.
When I got him out, he just smiled ans said, "I shut the door! I lock the door!"

The bottom picture is Griffin's attempt this morning the play on our bed. He managed to get himself stuck between the mattress and the foot board.

The top picture shows our attempt to make his adventures a little less accident prone. We put up a card table in the living room and made him a tent. Of course, he immediately filled it with so many pillows he can't get in and out. I don't know what we are going to do when he gets "Little Brother" involved in his schemes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a cool tent...I bet he really enjoyed that. It is a great picture of his cute face.

The Best Family said...

that is hilarious.... in retro-spect (sp?) of course! :o) I love the pics! He is gonna teach "baby brother" everything there is to know about being a BOY!!
ps-- Glad our card table is getting good use! It just sits in the garage and collects dust at my house...

Bekki said...

CUTE pictures! Poor Griffin - I bet he was so scared! But that was definitely a lesson learned! Oh - you will never have a dull moment with two boys. I am certain of that after reading this post! (love the post title!)

Mindi Tipps said...

His face where he is stuck between the bed is priceless! These will be good memories for later!

Courtney said...

Tell him Grana can sympathize with locking yourself in a room. I almost locked myself out of our house today while Lily was in her bed. Thank goodness for automatic garage door codes.

The Loftis Family said...

What a ham! Glad he got out okay and didn't seemed disturbed by it. He looks like he was having fun in the pictures. We used to make tents like that, except they were connected all over the living room.. Ah, the days.