Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Griffin

I wanted to take some time to write a little about my 2 boys so I can better remember what they are doing at this time in their lives. Since Tucker will be 2 months next week, I will start with my oldest.

Griffin is so fun and so challenging at the same time. He is smart, sometime too smart for his own good. He knows his letters and the sounds they make, numbers, colors, can spell his name, sing the Frog Street Press alphabet songs all by heart...plus a million other church songs, he knows countless Bible stories and has already learned his first memory verse this month after the 2nd Sunday. All this and I REALLY don't work with him on this stuff(some of you who know me may not believe that it is possible for me not be in teacher mode all the time, but then remember that I also have a newborn- no time! :)). He is just a sponge and has been from day one, doing everything early and it has all come easy for him. The flip side of this is that he has also learned how to talk back and develop an attitude much earlier than I would have expected. He is extremely strong-willed and stubborn and knows how to push my buttons and when he can get away with things (like when Tucker is nursing). We are learning to be consistent with our expectations for him and with his punishment when he does not meet them, and also to be patient as he grows and learns and challenges the world around him.

While Griffin gets many of the above mentioned characteristics from his mom, he thankfully did not seem to inherit my less than easy-going outlook on life (a nice way to say I am a little anal). He has no problem making a mess with all his toys, banging as loudly as possible on anything he can with his drumsticks, coloring on things he is not suppose to color on, and just generally being a boy...and that he is- ALL BOY! He loves cars, trucks, balls, tools. etc... although he has taken quite an interest in the cheerleaders at basketball games and enjoys pretending to put on my make-up and jewelry. He has such a love for life- always having a good time and always wanting to be on the go. He has his daddy's sense of humor and jokes constantly. He has never met a stranger- not sure where he got that one (maybe Uncle Jason!) and he will take food from anyone he sees with out hesitation. He talks and sings all day long and I just love listening to him. It is also very helpful that he plays so well by himself.

Despite his pushing of the boundaries, Griffin is a very loving boy who is always good for many hugs and kisses. He tells me daily that he loves me and that I am his best friend. He LOVES his littel brother and his friends and usually breaks down when they have to part ways. Most of all though, I am so enjoying watching his understanding and love for God grow. There is nothing more special than hearing your child say a memory verse or break out in a praise song to God or make a connection to a Truth that you didn't know they understood yet. I love you so much Griffin and I am so proud of who you are and cannot wait to see who you will become- just don't do it too fast!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I cannot wait to see that little man - and you too. I hope he didn't get his smart mouth from me!

Bekki said...

Sweet post!

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see my little buddy, tucker and the proud parents next week... love you guys...
grandpa gary