Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

While this holiday is one that gets mixed reviews from people depending on your relationships and past experiences, I have always loved any holiday whether or not it really applied to me. I guess I just love the excuse to do something, go out to eat, anything different. In my early years, I loved the balloons, the parties, the candy, the fun of another holiday and school party. Then came the MANY years of "flying solo" - intermixed with a date a couple of years- but I still managed to make it through, going out to eat with friends or watching chick-flicks in the dorm room at college. After these lonely Valentine's Days came the brief, but wonderful few years where Nathan and I were dating or married without kids. Nathan proposed on our first Valentine's day together, so it will always hold a special place in my heart- it was the best Valentine's and probably will always be. While we were child-less and had money (yes, those 2 things go together) we would go out to a nice, expensive restaurant, there were always flowers, presents, and cards- it is what I always wanted during the years without a significant other- and it was so much more because it was with someone I truly loved more than anything else in the world. Now, we are in the next phase- the kid years. Long gone are the days of fancy dining and dozens of roses. Disappointing...not at all. These days have been replaced with a much more meaningful and special time. Today Nathan woke up with the kids and cooked breakfast for me. He had a card and he helped Griffin make a card for me. They gave me 3 roses for my 3 special boys. Tonight, as I write this, Nathan is in the kitchen fixing dinner- steak, vegetables, and twice-baked potatoes- and it will all be excellent as he is a wonderful cook. He bought chocolate covered strawberries, a Valentine favorite of mine, and after dinner we will get ice cream from Culvers, out the kids to bed, and watch a movie. He did all the shopping, cooking, and cleaning...this, to me is a dream Valentine's Day! (amazing how our perspective changes) At home with the 3 boys I love most in this world- simple, sweet...I am So blessed.

So in honor of my 3 boys...

Tucker, you have only been with us for 8 weeks but I can't imagine my life without you. You bring so much joy and you fill a hole we didn't even know we had until you arrived. I love watching you smile, hearing you try and talk, looking at you as you sleep in my arms. I know you will grow up faster than I will be ready for, but I thank God for everyday I have with you. I love you!

Griffin, you are so full of life and love! I love that you have never met a stranger, that you will give anyone a hug or a kiss, that you enjoy so many simple things in life, and that you are always showing your love to me, with your hugs, kisses, flowers that you make daddy get at the grocery store, pictures you make me...you keep our lives interesting and we don't know what we did before you came along. I know there will come a day when the kisses and hugs don't come as often and the "I love yous" will be a little forced, but I am enjoying these days and soaking it all in. I love you!

Nathan...without getting too mushy for the whole world (or the few people who read this blog) I want to tell you how much I love you. You proposed to me on this day 5 years and I thought at that time life could not get any better. Boy, how wrong I was. You have given me 2 beautiful boys and have taken such wonderful, loving care of me and of our family. You are an amazing husband, and if possible, an even better Father. My greatest joy is watching you with our boys- cooking in the kitchen or reading stories to Griffin, holding and singing to Tucker...I know that this is what you were put here to do. Most of all, I am thankful for the love you have for our Father and the way that you lead our family to know and serve Him better. I love you SO much and I can't wait to spend many more Valentine's Days together just like this one!

Happy Valentine's Day!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Katie- this was such a sweet blog. I totally understand your feelings for the "changes" in our Valentine's Days now with kids, but they are so much better! Glad you had a special one!

Bekki said...

Wow, Katie - you are on a roll with these sweet blog posts. The last two left me teary. I really enjoy reading about the love you have for your 3 boys.

Megan said...

Wow girl, I don't think anyone can top that Valentines Day post! What a sweet way to honor your 3 guys on love day. I am glad they took care of you and I am glad that the Lord took care of you and sent you Nathan.

We think the world of the two of you.

I am so glad we got to catch up at lunch. There is never enough time. :) Even with the guys juggling the kiddos.

Sarah said...

What a precious day! Love this post.

Mindi Tipps said...

So sweet. I'm a little misty eyes myself. :)

Emily said...

What a tear jerker! Ya'll are so special! May God bless you abundantly in your many years to come!

Courtney said...

awwww. I am a little behind on blog reading, but that was worth it. i am so happy for you. Nathan - thanks for taking care of my lovely sister!