Monday, July 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Griffin, Happy Anniversary Nathan!

I am a little behind in writing this, but we have had a busy weekend. Last Friday was a very special day for me for 2 reasons: Griffin turned 3 and Nathan and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary. It is hard sometime to take the time to look back and remember the dates that we are celebrating...birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc... but I had the unique opportunity to do so on this occasion. Griffin and Nathan took a Father/son camping trip on Thursday night for Griffin's birthday (yes we live in Austin and the temperature has been averaging over 100- crazy, but that is another story that I will let Nathan tell later). I met them for breakfast on Friday morning- Nathan's parents were in town and they stayed home with Tucker. We ate, broke down camp, and then headed home. Nathan switched cars with me and I drove Griffin home. On the way I asked him if he wanted to hear about the day he was born. He did, and I recounted that day for him. He listened intently, then asked to hear another story. So I told him about the day Daddy and I got married. He loved listening to the stories and has since asked several times for me to tell them again. The best part about that moment, though, for me was thinking back and re-living those 2 special occasions. I often find that I get excited to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries and other special occasions, but rarely think back to the actual day I am celebrating. July 17, 2004 was the day I married my husband. It was a wonderful, hot Saturday that went as perfectly as it could go as far as weddings are concerned. Since that date I have had the best 5 years of my life. It has not been the easiest 5 years- we have faced a lot of stressful times- but I would not trade a day of it away. I married my best friend, a wonderful amazing father, and most importantly someone who is helping me on our journey with our Father. July 17, 2006, my life changed once again as I gave birth to our first child, Griffin. He is smart, talkative, imaginative, strong-willed, kind-hearted, stubborn, thoughtful, busy, loving, funny, aggrivating, enjoyable, and uniquely special. I could not have imaginied before him how he would change our lives. I cannot believe that 3 years have gone by since that Monday afternoon when we welcomed him into our lives, but I know the next 3 will go by even faster. I will try more often to take the time to remember the past, to enjoy the present,and to pray for the future. I am so thankful for this special day to remember 2 of the most important days in my life- Happy Birthday my sweet Griifin. Happy anniversary Nathan. I love you both!

More details of camping, parties, and pictures to come...

1 comment:

Courtney said...

That is so sweet! Did you tell Griffin that his grandparents were "racing" along the highway to come see him?